Letshaveachat.com  

Welcome to the Letshaveachat.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Letshaveachat.com > Sport > Combat sports

Old 01-09-2006, 07:54 AM

Default contriversial

Should all combat sports be banned? I personally don't like boxing at all.I just can't get my head around people enjoying watching/boxing other people to a pulp
Old 01-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Default Re: contriversial

Iíve got to agree I cannot really see the point of grown men trying to knock each other out for 10 or 12 rounds. Other sports like Judo do appear to be more about the skill of the throw and scoring points than physically knocking people out.

I can just about understand the Olympic boxing where the ďgameĒ is to score points over 3 rounds.

BUT (and itís a big but), as people willingly take part, should it be banned?

IMO, no, it should not.

If people ban boxing because it is dangerous, should we be banning motor racing because itís also dangerous and also bad for the environment? Or perhaps Fishing because itís cruel to fish. Should Hunting have been banned, again, IMO, No it should not have.

We are already living in a society where are lives are increasingly controlled from Westminster and I do not believe it is a good thing.
Old 15-09-2006, 08:46 PM

What!!!!!!!!!

Simon, I do believe you've set this thread up via a third party just to annoy me, haven't you!

After football, boxing is by far my favourite sport. It one of the original tests of sporting agility, prowess, character, stamina, you name it. What is more, now is a time anyone in the UK should be absolutely ecstatic about the quality of boxing talent on our shores.

Calzaghe (the best you will EVER see in a lifetime)
Hatton (not far behind him)
Woods (not fit to lace the above boxers boots, but a World Champion nonetheless)
Khan (need I say more, a future Unified belt holder if ever there was one)
Fury (Tyson Fury, an English heavyweight who will explode on the scene in the next 2 years)

There are more with Witter, Nelson, Maccarinelli, Hayes and so on.

The sport is better governed now than it has ever been, particularly medically. When was the last time you heard of someone suffering a serious injury in the ring? You'd have to think back to the dark days of Eubank v Watson to find much. Even then that was something that could easily happen in another sport.

Look at Thatchers assault on Mendez....certainly a lot more dangerous than what goes on in a boxing ring in an average match.

Besides, there is a very good reason boxing will never be banned. You'll send it underground and there'll be mass manslaughter.
Old 22-09-2006, 08:26 AM

Ok, so what do you enjoy about it Chris?
I don't think there's any skill involved (you can watch the same thing happening on certain street corners!)
Don't you think there comes a point where we have to say enough is enough sport is about using skill and fitness to better the oponents, but in boxing that doesn't happen.
(these are only my opinions! )
Old 03-10-2006, 04:13 PM

I have never got boxing, and what makes that potentially funny is that I was formerly UK Jui Jitsu Champion plus various regional and national titles. I have also competed in Aikido and Judo, as well as practisng others.

I have always felt these are totally about the skill of the individual as you are seperated into weights and the game is to trip, throw or pin an opponent to score points.

TO an extent I can see this in the lighter weights in Boxing where there is a lot of agility, speed and skill, but heavy weight, super heavy is just for me which big fat bloke can take the most punishment.
Sponsored Links