Letshaveachat.com  

Welcome to the Letshaveachat.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Letshaveachat.com > Sport > General Sports chat

Old 29-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Default Violence in sport

We all know the "Football is a gents game played by thugs and Rugby is a thugs game played by gents" but after the events of last week where Ben Thatcher took out Pedro Menzes are things getting worse ?

It was a shocking challenge and it's obvious (IMO) that he had this plan from the point he started to intercept him. Now I'm not a football fan as such, but why did he not get sent off ?

In rugby, that would have been a minimum of serious time in the sin bin, and more likely a send-off. Yes Rugby is a more violent game, but you don't see this kind of activity, yes there are punch ups as a result of "disagreemenets" but these usually become "handbags at dawn" type fights and no real damage is done. You don't see the deliberate (and really dangerous) challenges like these.

Did the ref miss the this and so could not take any action ?

Is it time for a TV replay to catch these type of incidents (as per Rugby).
Old 31-08-2006, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Violence in sport

Football is going down the pan - it needs video judging and retrospective penalties to be applied - some of the actions in recent years are just not sporting in any way - they would be poor form in wrestling.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:51 AM

I don't think footballs going down the pan, it's the fools who play in it that should be thrown out! I remember when Forest let Roy keane go to Man"cough"utd. Brian Clough had always kept him under control but MR Ferguson let him do what he liked!If I remember rightly he was sent off in his second game!I know he came good in the end but should the sport suffer because people on the pitch haven't got the brains to control their temper
Old 04-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Administrator

So are the "players" getting bigger than the game ?

If you are paying someone 100K per week, it is going to effect them....
Sponsored Links